When you buy a Coleman tent, you are making an investment.
Tents are not cheap, and you want to be sure to get the most out of your purchase. In order to do that, you need to know how to properly care for and maintain your Coleman tent.
That’s why we’ve put together the top tips that will help your tent will last for years. Read on to find out how to care for and maintain your Coleman tent!
Related: Looking for a tent upgrade? Find out what the best Coleman tents are.
If you’re wondering how to clean a Coleman tent and maintain it – read on!
Making your tent last longer
Extend the life of the tent fabric
If you’ll be using your Coleman tent for more than a week, try to put it in an area that offers some shade. This will help protect the fabric from UV damage, which can shorten the life of your tent. If there’s no shade available, your rainfly will help protect the body of your tent from damage by the elements.
Make your Coleman tent poles last longer
One of the most common reasons for needing to replace or repair a Coleman tent is when the tent poles break.
Here are some tips for taking care of your Coleman tent poles and extending the tent’s life:
- Don’t snap the poles together. Instead, unfold them section by section. This will help keep them in good condition and prevent them from splitting.
- When collapsing the poles, start by collapsing them near the center. This will put less stress on the cord.
- Avoid pulling on the poles when collapsing them, as this can damage the shock cord or the tent body. It’s usually easier to push the pole through the sleeve.
Avoid rips in the tent floor
Here are some simple tips to help the floor of your Coleman tent last for many camping trips to come!
- Use a footprint. This custom-cut ground cloth is designed specifically for the floor plan of your tent, and it can help protect your tent floor from abrasion and wear. It also provides a clean surface where you can pack up your tent.
- If using a generic ground cloth or tarp, tuck any excess material under the tent floor. This will help keep water from collecting on the underside of your tent.
Breaks and repairs
How do you repair a Coleman tent pole?
Coleman sells a replacement tent pole kit. This includes four fiberglass replacement poles, shock cord, lead wire, and vinyl pole caps. Do make sure that the length fits your tent before attempting a repair.
Broken Coleman tent stakes
If your stakes are bending under hard ground conditions, don’t worry! Replacement stakes are available, but they might not always be handy at a campsite. You can also tie your tent to rocks or other stable objects as a temporary fix.
When removing stakes, be careful not to pull them up with the tent body or stake loops. Use the end of a mallet to get them out. If your stake loops are ripped, you can sew them back together, but be sure to seam seal the stitching.
Keeping your tent clean
Can I machine wash my Coleman tent?
Do not use a washing machine to clean your Coleman tent. This can damage the seams, fabric, and mesh.
How do I properly clean my Coleman tent?
Cleaning your Coleman tent is easy! Just sweep it out, and make sure to get rid of any rocks, leaves, or dirt. You can clean it with a damp cloth and some mild soap.
Always dry your tent before putting it away
Make sure your tent is dry before putting it away. This will help to prevent mildew and odors from forming. A cool, dry place is ideal for storing your tent when it’s not in use.
If you have to pack your tent when it’s raining, open your tent and set it up as soon as possible to avoid these issues. When your tent is stored between camping trips, make sure to give it plenty of time to dry before packing it up again.
Next up: Coleman are a family classic, but are Coleman tents worth it?