Around 55 million Americans agree that fishing is a great pastime, but fishing doesn’t stop there. Most of us are familiar with kitsch cups and t-shirts saying “I’d rather be fishing,” or those door signs saying “out fishing,” but have you ever wondered how many other quotes for fishing there might be?
There are thousands of quotes relating to fishing in various media formats. Some quotes are inspirational and thought-provoking, many are humorous in some way, and others make great “witty one-liners” for gift ideas. Fishing quotes are fantastic for putting words to the emotions anglers experience.
Fishing has been around for centuries and has infiltrated most aspects of life, including movies (and tv), literature, and fashion. So, it’s small wonder there are so many fishing quotes! Below we’ll investigate some of the best fishing quotes you might hear.
Although thousands of fishing quotes, metaphors, analogies, and adages exist, these quotes are our favorites. Some are humorous, while others are thought-provoking or inspirational.
- “There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot”- Steven Wright.
- “Carpe Diem” does not mean ‘fish of the day.'” – Unknown.
- “The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn’t someone else’s gift to you?” – Lee Wulff.
- “There are no bad days in fishing…if you’re not catching, then you’re learning”. – Unknown.
- “Teach all men to fish, but first teach all men to be fair. Take less, give more. Give more of yourself, take less from the world. Nobody owes you anything, you owe the world everything.” – Suzy Kassem.
These quotes offer a different perspective on fishing and are worth mulling over the next time you’re on the water.
- “Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.”- Henry David Thoreau.
- “Fishing is a passion that can never be fully explained.” – Unknown.
- “I love fishing because it’s one of those things you can do alone or with someone, and either way, it’s delightful.” – Unknown.
- “The great trawler fleets sweep the seas and deliver their daily catch to tables worldwide, but they do more than that. They deliver hope, give life itself.” – Jacques Yves Cousteau.
- “The best way to catch a fish is to let him think he’s escaping.” – Unknown.
- “In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone.” – Ray Bergman.
- “Fishing is more than just catching fish. It’s about spending time with friends and family, and making memories that will last a lifetime.” – Unknown.
Whether life is tough or you’ve lost most of the fish on your line, the next few quotes are inspired and will motivate you for the next fishing trip.
- “There’s no such thing as a bad day when you’re fishing.” – John D. Williams.
- “Fishing seems to be the great occasion when all manner of contradictions reconcile themselves.” – Iris Murdoch.
- “Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.” – Herbert Hoover.
- “The greatest attraction of a fishing trip is that it allows washing one’s soul with pure air.” – Hercules Courtenay.
- “Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.” – Harry Middleton.
- “I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself.” – Joseph Monninger.
- “The great charm of fly-fishing is that we are always learning.” – Theodore Gordon.
- “Fishing is a way to be at peace with the world and oneself.” – Unknown.
- “I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret,” Roderick Haig Brown.
- “I’ve gone fishing thousands of times in my life, and I have never once felt unlucky or poorly paid for those hours on the water.,” William Tapply.
We all love a good chuckle, and some of the fishing quotes below should encourage you to crack a smile, even on a tough day!
- “A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.” – Unknown.
- “If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there’d be a shortage of fishing poles.” – Doug Larson.
- “Fishing is just like drinking – if you do it right, you’ll eventually fall into it.” – Unknown.
- “The best way to a fisherman’s heart is through his fly.” – Unknown.
- “Fishing is the art of lying convincingly about the size of the fish that got away.” – Unknown.
- “Give a man a fish; he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you will find bait in the fridge,” – Unknown.
- “Fishing relaxes me. It’s like yoga except I still get to kill something.” – Ron Swanson.
Suppose you’re looking to amuse or inspire friends and family with musings surrounding fishing. In that case, the quotes below are ideal for making a statement on Instagram, Facebook, and other social media platforms.
- “Fishing is the sport of drowning worms.” – Unknown.
- “There’s two types of fisherman – those who fish for sport and those who fish for fish.” – Unknown.
- “If you want to make a living from fishing, start with two boats.” – Unknown.
- “Tight lines, warm breezes, good friends, plenty of bait; it doesn’t get any better!” – Unknown
- “Fishing is like a game of chess, the fish is the opponent and you have to outsmart them.” – Unknown.
- “Fishing is the art of catching fish, but it’s also the art of catching a nap.” – Unknown.
- “I spent most of my money on fishing. The rest I wasted,” – Unknown.
These short fishing quotes make excellent gift ideas on cups, t-shirts, and other engravings.
- “When in doubt, fish!” – Unknown.
- “Keep Calm and Fish On.” – Unknown.
- “I’d Rather Be Fishing.” – Unknown.
- “If It Doesn’t Have To Do With Fishing Video Games Or Food Then I Don’t Care.” – Unknown.
- “The tug is the drug.”- Unknown.
- “To fish or not to fish? That’s a dumb question.” – Unknown.
- “Early to bed…early to rise…fish all day…make up lies.” – Unknown.
- “If at first you don’t succeed, fishing is a better choice than skydiving.” – Unknown.
- “Sorry I missed your call, I was on the other line.” – Unknown.
There’s nothing as spectacular as encouraging your children to take up fishing as a pastime. Some food for thought quotes include:
- “A father is someone who can teach his son how to catch a fish, but also knows how to let him loose.” – Unknown.
- “The best way to teach your children about fishing is to take them out on the boat with you.” – Unknown.
- “If I can get my son to love fishing half as much as I do, then I will have done my job as a father.” – Unknown.
Whether you’re looking for fishing quotes for yourself, a male partner, or a father, the next few relate to men and fishing.
- “Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.” – Unknown.
- “There’s certainly something in fishing that makes a man feel he is doing right; I can’t explain it, but it’s very pleasant.” – Norman Maclean.
- “Fishing is just like cheating on your wife. The big difference is that when you’re done fishing, you have to throw the fish back.” – Unknown.
- “It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.” – John Steinbeck.
Fishing is not limited to men, and neither is fishing quotes. Below are some great fishing quotes for women.
- “A woman who can fish is a woman who can handle anything life throws at her.” – Unknown.
- “A woman, who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn’t know what a patient man she married!” – Unknown.
- “Wanted: Good woman – Must be able to clean, cook, sew, dig worms and clean fish. Must have boat and motor. Please send picture of boat and motor.” – Unknown.
- “Every girl loves when a boy softly whispers in her ears those three magic words: “Let’s go fishing!” – Unknown.
Fishing often occurs in different media formats. Below are some iconic fishing quotes from movies.
- “You know, Agent Sadusky, something I’ve noticed about fishing? It never works out so well for the bait.” – National Treasure (2004)
- ‘You’re gonna need a bigger boat.’- Jaws (1975 Movie)
- Ice fishing? Gee. Who’d wanna catch a piece of ice? – Yogi’s First Christmas (1980)
- “Dad, it’s not fair to use a bug-zapper to catch the fish.” – The Simpsons Movie (2007)
Fishing quotes come in various categories and resonate with different people individually. Fishing is an immensely popular pastime, which spawned thousands of fishing quotes for men, women, parenting, philosophy, and more.